Thursday, June 26, 2008

Bostonian Men's Tahoe Oxford

Averaging about $100, the Bostonian Tahoe is a moderately-priced shoe sporting a high-end look. The shoe itself is manufactured in India, yet has a sheen that reminds folks of Italy.

The debate about shoe sizing is interesting to me, because I see two folks say that they downsize by a half-size while another person says they upsize by the same measure. Since I fall into the latter category (wearing 9.5 Bostonians versus 10.0 normally), I guess I even up the mark. Given the variance, I'd suggest Bostonian sizing is pretty standard.

I bought these shoes because they fit well and looked nice - no great epiphany there. Whether they last for several years is yet an unknown question. But after being in business for more than 100 years (powered by the lovely waterfalls of the northern Boston suburbs), they seem to have a pretty good bead on what folks are looking for... and given the new manufacturing site in India, also what they're willing to pay.

Bostonian features "First Flex" construction, which suggests that the shoes need absolutely no break-in period. I'll admit that's a lie, as did the salesman from whom I bought these shoes (his took about 2-3 days to feel comfortable). But hey, do you believe every marketing slogan you read?

If you think they look good, and if they feel good on your feet, I'd say buy 'em. For the price and character, you're entering both a known quantity and a good product history.